Serves: Makes approx 20-25 canapés
Horseradish Ice Cream
• For the horseradish ice cream, combine the milk, sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and cook over a pan of boiling water, whisking continuously, until the mix has doubled in volume.
• Remove from the heat and continue to whisk until cool. Fold in the crème fraîche and horseradish, to taste, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
• Place into an ice cream machine and churn, according to the manufacturer's instructions, until frozen.
• Place in the freezer until needed.
Stage 1 - Cured NZ King Salmon
• Lay the salmon on a non-metal tray or plate skin-side down. Mix together the salt, sugar, ground fennel and lemon zest and spread the mixture evenly over the salmon flesh. Wrap the salmon fillet with cure in plastic food wrap, then to weight it down (helps the cure to penetrate the salmon flesh evenly) put a board on top and weigh it down with a couple of tins. Leave for 4hours, but every hour tip off any liquid that collects.
• When ready, unwrap and brush off the cure mix (give it a quick rinse if needed) & pat dry with a cloth if necessary.
Stage 2 - Hot Smoking Method
Method 1 - on a roll top BBQ that has warming racks.
• Preheat the BBQ on high with the lid up for approx 5-8 min (depending on the BBQ), the grill plate needs to be hot without retaining any heat under the hood. Then place a sheet of aluminum foil down on the hot plate & sprinkle the smoking wood chips & fennel seeds over the plate. As soon as they begin to smoke heavily place your Salmon on the warming rack & roll the lid down & turn off the gas, it is important at this stage to leave the lid down for at least 4-5mins so as to allow the smoke to form & flavour the salmon. Be very careful not to over cook the salmon, an indication is as soon as you see white protein leeching out of the side of the salmon it will be cooked. Remove & allow to cool quickly.
Method 2 – using a large wok with lid & an old round cake rack
• Place the salmon on the cake rack (you may have to cut it in ½ to make it fit), heat the wok on a high heat, place enough aluminum foil in the wok to cover the bottom & then add the smoking wood chips & fennel seeds. As soon as they begin to smoke heavily place the rack into the wok & place the lid on, allow to remain on the heat for another minute then remove & allow to sit with the lid on for approx 4-5mins so as to allow the smoke to form & flavour the salmon. Be very careful not to over cook the salmon, an indication is as soon as you see white protein leeching out of the side of the salmon it will be cooked. Remove & allow to cool quickly.
• Place the hot smoke salmon onto the rye bread, for the best effect make sure that both the salmon & rye bread are squared off to the same size so they look uniform.
• Lightly season the top of the salmon with flaky sea salt, then place the horseradish ice cream ball firmly on top of the salmon.
• Garnish with watercress tips & possibly some crispy salmon skin & serve immediately.
About the Chef
New Zealand King Salmon is renowned for its exceptional flavour and for being naturally high in the healthy Omega-3 oil. As a travelling ambassador for New Zealand cuisine I am proud to prepare and showcase our farmed salmon, which due to our isolation and rigorous farming practices is naturally free from ...