- Portion the baguette & rub with the garlic & then brush with olive oil. Lightly toast & keep warm to serve with the mussels.
- In a heavy based sauce pan sauté roughly chopped bacon in the olive oil until crispy then sauté onions & garlic in the bacon oil until soft & transparent.
- Add tomatoes & half the wine. Allow sauce to come up to the boil, and then simmer for 8-10 minutes to reduce the sauce. To finish the sauce, season to taste & stir in pesto, remove the sauce from the pot & store in a suitable container.
- Wash & reuse the heavy based sauce pan, place on the heat with a lid until very hot, place the mussels into the pot with the remaining wine, then cover and steam. If cooking live mussels, steam for 4-5 minutes, shaking the pot a few times during. The mussels are cooked when the shells open, remove from the heat and discard any mussels that don't open. For frozen half shell mussels (thawed), steam for 2-3 minutes until warmed through.
- Return the tomato sauce to the pan with the mussels, allowing the sauce to come back up to boil, correct the seasoning & just before serving add the fresh herbs.
Portion the mussels out into bowls and divide out the sauce. Next crumble the feta over the mussels. Finish with warm baguette & serve while hot.
About the Chef
The Greenshell™ Mussel is possibly the most iconic representative of New Zealand’s seafood history. As a travelling ambassador for New Zealand cuisine I have always utilised Greenshell™ Mussels with complimentary results. At home, New Zealand diners recognise the Greenshell™ Mussel ...