- Combine all the sauce base ingredients, mix well & reserve until required.
- Blanch & refresh the broccolini by filling a small pot with water, adding 1 Tbsp of salt & bring to the boil. Once boiling, place the broccolini in the pot for approximately 1½ minutes, remove from the pot & plunge immediately into a bowl of ice water until completely cold. Remove & reserve until required.
- Using a nonstick fry pan (with a lid) place both the sesame & canola oils in the pan & heat until the oil just starts to smoke then add the shiitake mushrooms & sauté until they start to slightly colour. Add the red onion, garlic shoots & continue to sauté for another minute then add the mussels, broccolini & sauce base, immediately cover with the lid to steam open the mussels.
- The mussels should start to open almost immediately & become completely cooked after 3-4 minutes (discard any that do not open).
- Remove the lid & allow sauce to boil & reduce for another minute. Remove from the heat & finish by seasoning with salt.
- Portion between 4 individual plates or one shared platter & garnish by scattering the celery leaves over the dish.
About the Chef
The Greenshell™ Mussel is possibly the most iconic representative of New Zealand’s seafood history. As a travelling ambassador for New Zealand cuisine I have always utilised Greenshell™ Mussels with complimentary results. At home, New Zealand diners recognise the Greenshell™ Mussel ...