New Zealand King Salmon rice paper rolls with Atari goma dipping sauce
Makes approx 24 rolls
Ingredients - Salmon Rice Paper Rolls
|400gms (14oz)||New Zealand King Salmon - Cold Smoked Slices|
|6||Dried Rice Paper Wrappers (around 25cm in diameter)|
|150gms (5oz)||Carrot - julienne (fine strips)|
|150gms (5oz)||Daikon - julienne (fine strips)|
|1 tablespoon||Fresh Coriander - finely chopped|
|2 tablespoons||Sweet Plum Sauce|
|1 tablespoon||Fish Sauce|
|3 teaspoons||Lime Juice|
Ingredients - Atari Goma Dipping Sauce
|100gms(3.5oz)||Miso paste (white)|
|2 tablespoons||Rice vinegar|
|1 1/2 teaspoons||Atari goma (Japanese sesame paste can be substituted with tahini paste)|
|2 teaspoons||Karashi (Japanese Mustard) can be substituted with 1/2 teaspoon of wasabi)|
Method - Atari Goma Dipping Sauce
- In a saucepan, combine the miso and the sake and cook, stirring continually, for about 30 minutes, or until the volume is reduced by half. Then cool completely. (This step may be done several days in advance.)
- Place the cooled miso in a bowl and add the vinegar, dashi, sugar, Atari goma and mustard. Combine well.
- Store in an airtight container
Method - Salmon Rice Paper rolls
- Combine plum sauce, fish sauce & lime juice in a mixing bowl then add carrot, daikon & coriander making sure the sauce coats the vegetables.
- Cut the salmon into approx 25mm wide strips.
- To prepare for the rice paper select a shallow tray that would fit the whole rice paper sheet, then half fill it with cold water. You will also require a cloth towel which will be used to dry the rice paper.
- Removing one sheet of rice paper at a time (keep the rice paper covered or in the sealed packet as it will quickly start to crack if it is left out for too long), submerge the sheet into the tray with the cold water & remove immediately & place on the cloth towel allowing it to hydrate & soften. At this stage it should be pliable, pat dry to remove any excess water.
- On a separate chopping board cut the rice paper into strips approx 30mm wide, place on top of each rice paper strip the salmon & then place approx a teaspoon of vegetable mixture onto each rice paper salmon strip & roll up tightly. Store on a tray & cover with plastic food wrap.
- Serve on a platter with the Atari goma dipping sauce – optional garnishes could be to tie the rolls with spring onion & top with salmon roe.