New Zealand King Salmon, new potatoes, asparagus and poached egg dressing
|400gms(14oz)||New Zealand King Salmon skin on and bones removed cut into 100gm (3.5oz) portions|
|6||New Season Potatoes (Jersey Benies or Perlas) small, cooked & cut into thick slices|
|50gms (1.7oz)||Red Onion cut into julienne (fine strips)|
|1 small bunch||Micro Roquette (or small wild roquette leaves)|
|8 small spears||Fresh New Season Asparagus cut in half|
|12||Cherry Tomatoes cut in halves|
|1||Free Range Egg cooked till soft poached|
|1||Free Range Egg Yolk|
|250mls||Canola Oil reserve 200mls for the dressing|
|1 teaspoon||Capers rough chopped|
|1 teaspoon||Italian Parsley finely chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon||Fresh Dill finely chopped|
|1 teaspoon||Seeded Mustard|
|2||Fresh Lemons juice & fine zest from 1 (use other lemon as garnish)|
|to taste||Flaky Sea Salt|
|to taste||Fresh Cracked Black Pepper|
- On a BBQ flat hot plate (or in a heavy based frying pan) cook the potatoes with some of the canola oil till crisp & golden, remove from the heat & season with salt, keep warm.
- On the BBQ hot plate (or in a heavy based frying pan) cook the salmon portions skin side down to start, then flip over to quickly finish the cooking process (salmon is best served medium rare to medium).
- In the last few minutes of the salmon cooking add the asparagus to the BBQ (or pan) allowing the asparagus to cook in some of the salmon oils.
Method - Poached Egg Dressing
- Place the egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice & zest into a mixing bowl & whisk to combine. Slowly add approx 200mls of the oil constantly whisking to make a mayonnaise base (this can also be made in a small food processor). Mix in the chopped capers, parsley, dill & poached egg using the whisk to break up the egg, season to taste. Store in an airtight container till required.
To complete the dish
- Evenly distribute the warm potatoes across the 4 plates, then in the middle of the potatoes, build a small salad with the red onion, asparagus, cherry tomatoes & roquette on each plate. On top of the salad place the salmon & season each plate to taste, finish with the poached egg dressing. As an additional garnish you could add a wedge of lemon.