New Zealand King Salmon with cold horseradish ice-cream
Makes approx 20-25 canapés
||New Zealand King Salmon -hot smoked fillet (cubed)
||Fresh Heavy Rye Bread - thick cut & squared
||Horseradish Ice-cream - balled using small melon baller
||Flaky Sea Salt|
Ingredients - Horseradish Ice Cream
||Free-range Egg Yolks
||Fresh horseradish - grated - to taste
||Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Method - Horseradish Ice Cream
- For the horseradish ice cream, combine the milk, sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and cook over a pan of boiling water, whisking continuously, until the mix has doubled in volume.
- Remove from the heat and continue to whisk until cool. Fold in the crème fraîche and horseradish, to taste, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place into an ice cream machine and churn, according to the manufacturer's instructions, until frozen.
- Place in the freezer until needed.
- Place the hot smoked salmon onto the rye bread, for the best effect make sure that both the salmon & rye bread are squared off to the same size so they look uniform.
- Lightly season the top of the salmon with flaky sea salt, then place the horseradish ice cream ball firmly on top of the salmon.
- Garnish with watercress tips & possibly some crispy salmon skin & serve immediately.