Tempura New Zealand Pacific Oysters with kelp seasoning & miso dipping sauce
Makes enough for approx 2 dozen oysters
||New Zealand Pacific Oysters - half shell Kelp Seasoning
||Dried Nori Sheet
||Fresh Small Lime – zest only
||Flakey Sea Salt
Ingredients - Miso Dipping Sauce
||Rice Wine Vinegar
||Fresh Lemons – juice from 3, zest from 1
||Spring Onion – finely chopped
Ingredients - Tempura Batter
|Tips on tempura:
- Ice. Use ice water for the batter. This is really important to prevent the batter from absorbing too much oil.
- Batter. Do not make the batter ahead of time. Try not to over mix the batter and not to coat ingredients with the batter too much.
- Frying should be in hot oil 180°C (355°F).
Method - Kelp Seasoning
- Take the nori sheet & toast in a non stick pan till it becomes very crispy, as it cools it should be able to be very easily crumbled. Remove from the pan & add the sesame seeds & lightly toast.
- Place in a spice grinder (or mortar & pestle) & blend till very fine, remove & blend with the lime zest & salt in a small plastic sealed bag & shake so the lime zest oil is extracted through the mixture.
Method - Miso Dipping Sauce
- In a small sauce pan place all the ingredients except the spring onions and bring up to a slow simmer mixing with a wooden spoon at all times. As soon as it reaches a simmer remove from the heat & allow to cool, add the spring onions & mix through.
Method - Tempura Batter
- Beat an egg in a bowl. Add ice water in the bowl (be sure to use very cold water)
- Add sifted flour in the bowl and mix lightly. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
Cooking the Tempura Oysters
- In a deep fryer (deep sauce pan or Wok) pre-heat cooking oil to 180°C (355°F).
- Remove the oysters from their shells & place on a paper towel & lightly pat dry. Set the shells on a service tray or plate.
- Dip the oysters in fresh tempura batter & cook in the oil till the batter is crispy. Remove from the oil & place on a dry paper towel.
- Return the cooked oysters into the shell & season with kelp seasoning.
- Serve hot with the miso dipping sauce, extra seasoning & lemon wedges.