New Zealand Pacific Oysters with ginger & lemongrass ponzu gel & salt foam
Makes 12 portions
||New Zealand Pacific Oysters - half shell
Ingredients - Ginger & Lemongrass Ponzu Gel
||Fresh Ginger Root – peeled, chopped
||Lemongrass Root – bottom 1/3 only, bruised
||Tamari Soy Sauce (wheat free)
||Ponzu Sauce – see recipe
||Fresh Ground White Pepper
Ingredients - Salt Foam
Ingredients - Ponzu Sauce
||Fresh squeezed Lemon - Juice plus zest
||Fresh squeezed Orange - Juice
||Rice wine vinegar
||Benito Flakes (see Chef's note)
||Kombu (see Chef's note)
- Loosen the oyster from the shell, leaving loosened meat in the shell.
- Place ginger, lemongrass, tamari soy, ponzu, water & any oyster juice in a stainless steel pot & bring to the boil, reduce the heat & allow to simmer. Reduce the mixture by half, remove from the heat & pass through a fine strainer reserving the liquid only in a bowl. Season with pepper.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water to allow to soften, then remove from water, squeeze out any excess water & add to the hot ginger lemongrass ponzu liquid.
- Stir the mixture over a bowl of ice to allow to cool, stir constantly until it gels to a thick loose consistency.
- Spoon over the oysters, finish with salt foam & herb garnish (shiso cress – optional)
Method - Salt Foam
- In a small sauce pan bring the water & salt up to the boil & then allow to cool to room temperature. Using an immersion stick blender aerate the salt water till small bubbles form. This method will need to be repeated to maintain a supply of foam.
- The foam can now be scooped off & served.
Method - Ponzu Sauce
- In a stainless steel saucepan dissolve the sugar & vinegar, remove from the heat & add all the other ingredients. Allow to cool & transfer to a container, place in a refrigerator & allow to infuse for a few hours. Strain through a fine sieve & store in a container with a lid in the refrigerator.
Prosciutto can be substituted with quality belly bacon or even ham. Poaching maintains the moisture & plumps the oyster up slightly – the crumble is a tasty colorful option that also offers texture.