New Zealand Greenshell™ Salt and Pepper Mussels
Makes 16 mussels
|16||New Zealand Greenshell™Mussels|
|130gms (4.5oz)||Rice Flour|
|1/2 tsp||Chilli Powder|
|1 tsp||White Peppercorns (finely ground)|
|1 tsp||Flakey Salt|
|Oil for frying|
- Mix all dry ingredients well.
- Place the mussels into the milk (this ensures the dry ingredients stick to the mussels).
- Heat the oil to 185°c in a deep fryer
- Remove the mussels from the milk & shake any excess milk then dredge the mussels through the dry ingredients (seasoning) ensuring the mussel is completely coated in the seasoning.
- Fry the mussels in small batches to maintain the heat, fry until the coating is crisp. Remove & drain on a paper towel. Keep the mussels hot until you serve.
Pineapple Ginger puree
Makes approx 400gms (14oz)
Method - Pineapple Ginger Puree
- In a medium saucepan place all the ingredients accept the salt, & slowly bring to a simmer.
- Continue to cook on a low heat until the pineapple becomes soft & the mixture becomes thick, stirring regularly.
- Place the mixture into a food processor or blender & puree till smooth. Season to taste & allow to cool.
- Store in a container with a lid.
Complete the Dish
- Place the hot mussels on a serving dish with the pineapple ginger puree & garnish with lime wedges.
Great as a snack or formal styled finger food, the spiced hot crispy texture of the mussels work extremely well with the soft pineapple ginger puree.The salt & pepper seasoning encases & seals the mussels & maintains the juiciness of the Greenshell™ Mussels.