New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussel chowder on the half shell
Makes enough for 30 portions
|50||New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels - half shell (meat diced, shells reserved)|
|1 small||Green Pepper, diced|
|1 small||Red Pepper, diced|
|1 small||Onion, diced|
|1 stick||Celery, diced|
|2 large||Potatoes, small cubed|
|1/4 teaspoon||Mace, ground|
|1/2 teaspoon||White pepper|
|150mls||Full Cream Milk|
- In a large soup pan, add 200ml of chicken broth, red pepper, green pepper, onion, celery and potatoes; then simmer until potatoes are slightly soft.
- In the remaining 50ml of chicken stock, mix in the flour and add it to the potato mixture. Add the corn, mace, white pepper and nutmeg. On a low heat, slowly stir in the heavy cream, full cream milk, sherry and mussels. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Finish the chowder with chopped chives.
- Steam the half shell mussels until just cooked.
- Loosen the mussel meat from the shell, setting aside the meat for the moment.
- Fill each shell with the chowder mixture.
- Add mussel meat back to shell on top of chowder and garnish.