New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels with chilled leek, potato and saffron soup
Makes enough for 20 portions
|20||New Zealand Greenshell™ Mussels - half shell|
|3 sheets||Nori paper (cut into strips)|
|1 ||Tomato (blanched, peeled & finely diced)|
|4 ||Chive spears (finely cut)|
|20||Bamboo cocktail forks|
Ingredients - Soup
|10gms (3oz)||Onion (sliced)|
|40gms (1.5oz)||Leek (white part – chopped)|
|200gms (7oz)||Potatoes (peeled & sliced)|
|to taste||Salt & Pepper|
- Sweat onions & leek in butter; add the stock, potatoes & saffron. Simmer for 30-40 minutes until ingredients are soft.
- Blend soup in a liquidizer & pass through a fine strainer. Return to a clean pot & reboil, season, remove from the heat & stir in the cream. Correct the consistency, flavor and then chill.
- Individually wrap the mussels with the nori strip, then insert the bamboo fork lengthways through the mussel meat.
- Mix the diced tomato with the cut chives.
- Three quarter fill the shot glasses with the leek potato & saffron soup. Drop a small amount of the tomato garnish on top of the soup.
- Rest a mussel on top of each glass and top with a small amount of tomato garnish